I've had the opportunity to experience night float 7 times now. 8 months total to go. Night float is like working out at the gym to me. It takes major motivation to get there but after you are done with it you realize the benefits that you may reap from it.
Benefit #1: opportunity to operate. I'm on night float right now with a chief who does not like to operate. Go figure, right? So this gives me the chance to operate at least once every night. Benefit #2: not having to round. Rounding in the morning is painful. Trying to cram seeing 20-30 patients in 1 hour and 15 minutes while writing a quick note with everything that happened overnight as well as their entire plan. On night float you only have to round on Sunday mornings and on any holidays that need to be covered.
Benefit #3: it can be fun. If you are on with a good team you can build some good friendships and have lots of laughs. Last night float I was on with Mary, Moxie and Mia. We had a couple of theme nights. One was "junk food night." Everyone brought a certain junk food. Moxie made a junk food sandwich consisting of a Swiss chocolate roll with squirt cheese and a twizzler on top. Nasty!
Benefit #4: lose weight (besides junk food night.) On night float you usually lose your appetite because you are so sleep deprived. Your eating schedule gets all messed up. You don't feel hungry in the morning because you just worked 13 hours and you want to sleep. I have a quick bowl of cereal when I wake up around 3pm. I usually get hungry again around 12am but the options in the caf at that hour are not appealing.
Benefit #5: not having to take q4 call. Most other programs have a call schedule where you are on every fourth night for call. At least with night float your body gets semi-adjusted to sleeping during the day.
So I guess I'll continue to look on the bright side for the remaining 8 months that are left of night float. The best is that my chief year (a.k.a. my 5th year) I will only cover weekend call. No nights during the week for one whole year!
No comments:
Post a Comment