Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back to work

I've been back to work for 2 1/2 weeks. The first day was very hard. By the time I got up to the surgical floor I was bawling. One of the nurses told me all about her return from maternity leave and how hard it was. That helped. And my friend Erin gave me a hug and she usually doesn't hug people!
So now we are in our routine a bit more. Holly, our summer nanny, comes at 7am by which time I am long gone. She and Isla play and go for little field trips to the Old Port. Holly is awesome and I wish she would quit college so we could have her for the next year. I am a little worried about finding someone else to start in September.
Isla had her 2 month check last Thursday with her pediatrician Dr. Bennett who is really good. She said that Isla has a very pleasant disposition which I totally agree with. Isla only cries really when she needs something and occasionally when she is overtired. Isla weighed 13 pounds 3 oz which is 96% for her age!! What a big baby. I guess my milk is very nutritious. The doctor said that for her weight she should be sleeping at least 4 hours at a time but Isla didn't read the books I guess. She sleeps more like 2-3 hours at the most. Which makes for a long night but I really love breastfeeding and can't imaging giving up a feeding at night yet for her to get a bottle from Mark. He has off erred to take turns feeding her. I'm scared my supply would drop off.
At the appointment Isla got some of her shots. Holly and I couldn't watch. She cried and did the silent wail! So we got some Tylenol which I think helped.
When I'm driving home for work I get so excited to feed and see Isla. I am so glad to be breastfeeding because I feel like Isla and I really have a close bond because of it! And it's something that Holly can't give her so that she can't get confused and think that Holly is her mommy. That was my biggest fear to be honest. I know it's silly but these are the things I worry about.
Isla is growing up and doing lots of new things. It seems there is something new everyday! She is smiling and giggling more. She makes lots of cooing noises. She can grab onto a rattle and hold it for awhile. She loves to look in her mirror. Tummy time isn't her favorite but she loves her baths and cries when we take her out!
This weekend is my first call weekend which I am totally dreading. I can't image being away from her for 30 hours. Hopefully she'll make a little trip to the hospital with her daddy!

No comments: