Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The nesting has begun!

According to Pregnancy Weekly, nesting, "is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world." And so it has begun. Partially brought on by my night float insomnia, I awoke at 12:30pm today (I should be sleeping until 3pm) and decided to start moving things around the future nursery. I went through all my old papers and books and packed things into boxes and shoved them in the closet. I was half tempted to start moving around Mark's things but thought he might not appreciate my nesting as much if I did that. So things are a little more prepared for my mother's arrival. Which I think is also driving some of the nesting instinct. She is coming next weekend to paint and help to decorate the nursery. Grandmother/mother nesting!

I am now in my sixth month. The baby could technically survive without me in the world at this point. I guess that makes me feel better and also makes me freak out a little bit. I just read an article in General Surgery News about how female urologists have a higher rate of complications during pregnancy secondary to their lifestyle. Higher even than mothers in poor regions of the country rated to have the highest complication rate in 2004. But I try not to think about this. My program has been very supportive. Last night around 1am Dr. Radke told me that the "mother" needs to go to bed. Usually sleeping at work is not encouraged but everyone has been taking it easy on me. My surgical personality has a little bit of trouble with this concept.

Below are pics of my six month belly. I am definitely growing and so is the little baby girl. She is also kicking up a storm. Yesterday during a conference I thought she was going to kick right out of me! Also, is a picture of some of her new clothes hanging in the closet.




1 comment:

Deluca said...

I am so excited for you and your nesting. Reading about you and Laura's pregnancy makes me more excited to get pregnant!

I love that you are so 'medical' about it (Baby surviving on its own!)

I am so excited for you!